The Bloomsbury paintings at Berwick, all painted on war-time plasterboard panels, are now in urgent need of conservation if they are not to deteriorate beyond recognition.
Our Saving Berwick project will:
- Conserve the paintings, ensuring this national treasure is protected in the very long-term
- Adapt and improve the church to provide a fit-for-purpose environment for the paintings and for people
- Provide new interpretation of these unique works of art for our visitors – both in the church and online
- Develop the church’s vision of providing support to those in need, through offering solace and respite in this peaceful and inspiring place
- Run new artistic, educational and creative projects available for all, with our local partners
- Establish an endowment – 10% of our campaign target – to support ongoing maintenance and activities
We have been successful in raising over £200,000 in match-funding and have secured support from the National Lottery Heritage Fund but there is still much to do to ensure the long term future of this remarkable church.