Please note: This is the mobile site. For the desktop version, please click here.
The five churches in the benefice are normally open from 10.00 am till dusk. Please note that the churches may, at times, be unavailable for visits because of weddings, funerals, etc.
Berwick Church welcomes visiting groups and offers a guided talk by prior arrangement. Please click here for details of costs. Our Visitor Coordinator for Berwick church is Mrs Linda Hallums -
Send an email
Details of service times can be found here.
Please click on the markers on the map below for details of car parking for each church.
A Rider Bus Service 125/38 operates Monday to Saturday along the A27 from Lewes to Alfriston stopping at Berwick Village crossroads turning about 0.34 miles from Berwick church.
Please click here for a Lewes area timetable.
Berwick railway station is a 1.32 mile walk from the church (the majority of which is on a dedicated public footpath and cycleway).
The Cuckmere Valley Rambler Bus operates an hourly service from Berwick Station to Alfriston at weekends and on public holidays (except Good Friday); this calls at Berwick Village crossroads. The service is timed to connect with certain trains. A limited service operates on weekdays. Please click here for details.
For information about other bus services in the benefice, please click here.
The five churches are set in a beautiful part of East Sussex largely within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the newly created South Downs National Park.The five parishes lie between the coastal town of Eastbourne and the historic county town of Lewes. The five churches are normally open from 10.00 am till dusk. Details of service times can be found here.
For more detailed information about the churches and their history, please click here to go to the desktop version of the site.
Alciston church, which is Grade 1 listed, was a chapel-
Key Features: The church is adjacent to a fine 14th century tithe barn and mediaeval (Benedictine) dovecote, tithe barn, priest’s house and stewponds.
The church building dates back over 1000 years and bears an ancient dedication to St Pancras -
Key Features: St Pancras notably represents a mosaic of early and medieval periods of architecture in one building. There is a 13th century pottery urn and leper’s window behind the priest’s stall in the Chancel. The East Window has a stained glass depiction of the Crucifixion and is dedicated to the memory of William Chandless -
St Michael and All Angels is a Grade 1 listed building. Although it may well have Saxon or Norman origins, it was heavily restored in 1856 to designs by local Victorian architect Henry Woodyer.
Key Features: The 20th Century Bloomsbury Murals that attract about 10,000 visitors each year.
The church is built of flint in the typical Sussex style, with a red-
Key Features: The church has unusual brasses and the churchyard has the grave of Stanley Mockford who was the inventor of the ‘Mayday’ distress call. There is a particularly beautiful stained glass -
The church of St Mary and St Peter is 12th Century and was founded, with the neighbouring Priory, by Benedictine monks. The unusually long chancel has stone seating along the walls where the monks would have sat for services.
Key Features: A 1,600 year-
For the desktop version of the Benefice website, please click here.